The Palagio CastleHistorical FactsThe first historical mention of the castle Il Palagio dates back to 1252, but it is supposed that it is much older. Several events have marked the history of this important military stronghold which, because of its size and its impregnability, has survived numerous incursions over the centuries. Located on the fortified line that, from San Casciano and through Mercatale, came up to St. Andrea a Fabbrica, Il Palagio has played a leading role in the defence of the territory.
Its massive walls and the central tower, which served as a lookout and defence, have prevented over the centuries the destruction that other contemporary buildings suffered.
In 1260 the Ghibellini devastated the area by destroying the nearby Pieve di Campoli. The Castle Il Palagio remained unscathed even during the expedition of the Emperor Henry VII, who had taken place in most of the district of San Casciano Val di Pesa, Chianti.
A few decades later, in 1320, the Castle was enlarged and almost doubled to reach much greater size than what currently appears, becoming a veritable bastion of defence and the starting point for offensive actions.
In 1326 the area was the scene of military incursions and destruction of Castruccio Castracani who for quite a long time stopped nearby and also devastated San Casciano. In 1376 the militia of the Buondelmonti, coming from the Castle Il Palagio, managed to stop near Campoli the army of Sir John Hawkwood.
Canigiani family very ancient possession, Il Palagio belonged to the Florentine Republic for two centuries. At the end of the 17th century was sold to the Barons Miniati di Dino, an ancient Florentine family, who transformed it into a mansion, refining its appearance and enriching it with works of art.
Plant trees, nowadays with an age over two centuries, were placed around the walls and the garden increased more and more importance to reach its peak in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
It then passed by inheritance to the Marquis Goretti, an ancient family of Casentino, who joined the two surnames and became Marquis Goretti Miniati and at the beginning of twentieth century proceeded to an extensive renovation of the complex, including the decoration of the chapel.
With the death of the owner, the property is recently passed to the Florentine family of Lapi, as well a very ancient Patrician Florentine family (one of family ancestors was Filippo Brunelleschi, architect of the dome of Florence Cathedral), such as second cousin of Goretti Miniati.
While retaining the vestiges of the old structure, what we admire today at Il Palagio is largely the result of the restoration, in neo-Gothic style, according to the dictates of the time, made by Arch. Castellucci in the early twentieth century.
The restoration also included the construction of the adjacent farm, house, the mill, new cellars and warehouses where, after more than a century still wine is produced with the traditional criteria.
PALAGIO ENGAGEMENT S.R.L.- P.Iva 06177590483 - REA 606910 - capitale sociale € 30.000